Sunday, February 8, 2009

Good old cell phone

I have a real dependency on my cell phone. It is ridiculous.

Last December, I had a week from hell. It started with a bad day at work. When I finally got to go home, a couple hours later than expected, I went out to wipe off the 5 inches of snow off my car. As I was finishing up by scraping off the layer of ice, I broke my windshield wiper. I was lifting it up to clear the ice from underneath when I slipped and broke the wiper as I fell. So in addition to breaking my wiper, I felt like I broke my hip, but only bruised it. To make matters worse, that had to be the day I wore a skirt to work. After an hour of wiping of my car I finally got to leave the parking lot. Sounds easy enough, except, that was the night we got a huge snowstorm. Perfect. So I took the back roads all the way home going 10 mph because I couldn't see out of my windshield...because the I broke the stupid wiper off. When I finally got back, I went looking for my phone so I could find someone who could help me with my wiper problem. However, I couldn't find my phone. I tore apart my room. I emptied every drawer, moved furniture, dumped out all of the random bags, and even went through my garbage. I found nothing but a pair of undies and a lip gloss I thought I lost.
This is the point when I panicked.
I had ransacked my room, tore apart my car, searched the parking lots and stores of all the places I went to that day, called security at the mall I worked at, as well as at my school, and even looked in snow banks.

It was gone.
Perfect.

I was so frustrated with myself that the whole time I was searching I was sobbing.
My phone had everything in it. I had all my contacts, pictures of my newborn niece, work schedules, appointments, and even stupid passwords. I would have called my parents except we all got new phone numbers a couple months back and I had no idea what theirs were. Most people could have driven home or something, but I am 8 hrs away from them. It was frustrating.

A couple of days went by and more bad things kept coming my way. I won't go into the details but I was pushed to my limit. I went and bought a whole new phone at full price then left for home. I couldn't handle staying in Milwaukee. I needed to get away to clear my head. So, I drove the 8 hours home getting my wipers fixed along the way.

I could say more about the continuation of my shitty week even as I was driving home (snow storm, wipers breaking completely, overdrafting, getting stood up by three guys plus getting dressed up and stood up by "friends", and so on...) but it isnt even important at this time.

So, back to my phone. After the week ended things got better and I accepted that I just had to roll with it. Then my brand new phone started working like a P.O.S. Eventually I upgraded to a completely different phone that I love. So in total, I spent 300+ dollars on getting a new working phone. It was hard to hand over the credit car knowing all the other bills I had to pay that month, but I needed a phone.

So flash forward to today, a little more than two months later.

J and I decided to go on a walk by the lakefront. As we walked we vented back and forth for a couple of hours about the stress of our lives. Eventually, we had to continue on with our lives and go back to civilization. As she was getting out of my car, she kept staring at the floor with a puzzled look. Then reached under the seat.

Guess what she pulled out?

My 3 month old cell phone that I lost back in December!
I was so pissed at myself. I swear I looked there! It sounds pathetic but I was so livid that I was shaking because of everything I had gone through because of the damn thing.
Pathetic.
All this time it had been driving around with me when I thought it was in a far away land. I could have saved some serious cash if I would have looked better. Oh and the best part is that I got a lecture from the 'rents about the whole thing. It was a half hour long lecture telling me I need to me more responsible and less carefree....yada yada yada. Yeah fuck my life.

I am over it now. Shit happens.
At least I have a phone I love now! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I write the thoughts running through my mind. Sometimes they make sense and other times they are a bit cloudy. Bear with me.

The Movement


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones