Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Better Part of Me-House of Fools

Why can't I just accept a compliment like a normal person?

At work I get praise for the work that I do and for some reason it bothers me. Instead of saying "thanks" when being complimented I spin it into something negative.

Today I was so uncomfortable when I had to have my employee evaluation and T had all these nice things to say about my progress and growth within the team.

As I started to think about it I guess for so long I was the girl everyone overlooked and/or insulted. Growing up I was an akward tomboy. People didn't understand me so they made fun of me. It also didnt help that I have always been a fat kid. I didn't grow up getting compliments. I usually was yelled at for doing something wrong. I talked too loud(and too much). I wouldn't listen to "instructions". I ate too much. I would never pay attention.

Eventually as I grew up I established mysef within my surroundings and found people who accepted my "quirks". Instead of yelling at me for these things they started to overlook them and start noticing what I could do right. Thats when I started being complimented. Sadly this didn't happen until after I had been in college. Weird.

(Its funny how I came to this all while processing underwear at work.)

Eventually I will figure out how to accept when people call me beautiful or creative. For now if you call me pretty I will insist that you are looking behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I write the thoughts running through my mind. Sometimes they make sense and other times they are a bit cloudy. Bear with me.

The Movement


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones